Old 19-07-2004, 07:05 PM
Meepus

Default strange "flowers"

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 07:03:14 +0000 (UTC),
(mel turner) wrote:

In article ,

[Meepus] wrote...

A couple years ago I watched a Discovery Channel documentary that
described (and depicted) some kind of anthropomorphic flower/bud/seed
pod things that were in the possession of a monk in Thailand (I think)

These thing were creepy, very like a dessicated fetus or something, I
had found a website dedicated to them but for the life of me I cannot
find it again...

Possibly the "Scythian lamb"? It's the dried stem of a big
fern, Cibotium barometz, from Southeast Asia, that has been
trimmed so as to resemble an animal. [The stem is wooly/hairy,
and the remains of the leaf stalks can resemble legs. Supposedly
they'd carve a face on the dried stump] As I recall, the dried

Good links, Mel - the one I saw was definitely a homunculus, as
opposed to that cute little sheep-thing

Seemed to me it was Asian and had to do with a monk as well - the site
I saw descibed it much like barnacle geese inasmuch as it dropped from
a tree.

Thanks for the sugestions tho, got me further than I had on my own

=Mike 0=