Old 25-07-2004, 05:07 PM

Default new botany site

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

I attach an attempt at translating the names into botanical.

Can I play too? N.B. My botanical credentials are nowhere near as
good as the other posters, but I've done a fair bit of work repairing
corrupted text. I probably spell things right, but may not identify
correctly, or recognise obsolete names, so don't take my word for it.
Corrections would be appreciated.

The common names I supply are obviously English, and far from universal.

ABIES PICEA PUNGES GLAUCA HOPSII
Picea pungens cultivar?

Probably the cultivar 'Hoopsi(i)' Common name: Hoopsi blue spruce

AGAVE FEROX

I think this is okay. Maybe the local succulent expert can comment.

ARBUTUS UMEDO CORBEZZOLO

Arbutus unedo? Common name: strawberry tree

AUCUBA JAPONICA

OK?

CARPINUS PIRAMIDALIS FASTIGIATA BETULUS
Carpinus betulus

f. pyramidalis fastigiata?

CITRUS TRIPTERA TRIFOGLIATA FALSO ARANCIO AMARO SPINOSO

Poncirus trifoliata? Common name: trifoliate orange.

COTINUS COGGYGRIA SCOTANO ATROPURPUREA

Cotinus coggygria 'Atropurpurea' ? Common name: smoke tree

HIBISCUS SYRIACUS ROSSO BIANCO BLU

Hibiscus syriacus
Cultivars of this plant have a wide variety of flower color and pattern.
Around here, it's called Rose of Sharon, an epithet used for many unrelated
plants elsewhere.

LAURUS ALLORA NOBIUS

Laurus nobilis? Common name: bay tree

LAVANDULA LAVANDA SPIGA

Lavandula officinalis (syn L. spica)

MELOGRANO PUNICA GRANATUM

Punica granatum Common name: pomegranate

MHISCANTHUS JAPONICUS

Miscanthus japonicus?

NERIUM OLEANDER "OLEANDRO"

OK Common name: oleander

NESPOLO COMUNE MESPILUS GERMANICA

Mespilus germanica Common name: medlar
"Nespolo" is also used for the loquat. I can't identify either visually.

PAENONIA PEONIA LUTEA SUFFRUTICOSA
Paeonia something or other

P.suffruticosa Common name: Japanese tree peony. Lots of
cultivars, including yellow ones.

PUNICA GRANATUM "NANO DELLE ANTILLE"

PUNICA GRANATUM LEGRELLEI

More kinds of pomegranate, Punica granatum.

QUERCUS RUBRA QUERCIA BOREALIS ROSSA

Quercus borealis, or maybe Q. borealis maximus Common name: red oak

QUERCUS SUBER SUGHERA "QUERCIA DA SUGHERO"

Quercus suber Common name: cork oak

SAMBUCUS NIGRA "SAMBUCO"

Sambucus nigra Common name: elderberry

SYRINGA VULGARIS LILLA