Old 01-08-2004, 02:48 PM
Phred

Default Geotropism?

In article ,
"Don H" wrote:
Tropism ("turning") in plants is their orientation when growing: upwards for
stems, and downwards for roots. The upwards trend can be attributed to an
attraction to light (phototropism), but downwards - due to gravity?

Plant shoots also respond to gravity. They grow "up" in the dark when
seeds germinate buried in soil. I also have a vague recollection of
experiments done decades ago where plants growing in rotating
chambers lost the effect of geotropism and grew in "random"
directions.

Maybe someone in sci.bio.botany will put me straight on this.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID