Old 03-08-2004, 07:59 PM
Peter

Default White wildflower in northern NJ

As an amateur, I find this group helpful and interesting. I do not think
that you should be put off by the childish bad manners of the odd puffed-up,
self important individual.

Keep asking.

"swim learning" wrote in message
m...
"Cereus-validus" wrote in message

om...
Shame on you for not knowing this very common plant.

If you pull a plant up, you will notice that the roots smell exactly the
same as a carrot.

I am not a native of North America or Europe.

It seems this newsgroup is for serious academics rather than novices
and dabblers like me. Can you suggest another group where I can post
such questions?

I believe that some others may find the pictures of interest and
consider identifying other's photos as an interesting puzzle. I would
like to see such posts from others.

It is not obvious to me that I should smell a plant to identify it,
let alone pull out and check the roots. Nevertheless, I think it is a
good idea, and I may do this in the future. However, suppose the plant
is something like poison ivy? Also, most plant smells are not familiar
to me.

Can you recommend one or two basic books for identifying such plants?

Thank you.