Old 05-08-2004, 02:46 PM
Guy Bradley

Default Beetles on my tomato Plants

"Anna" wrote in message
I have posted a couple of pictures on the web of these bugs.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...70887500jqBNuV
| I just discovered a black beetle type bug on my tomato leaves.

The have
| attacked my cherry tomatoes and none other. I noticed them on

dandelions
| before but not in my garden. What can they be and how can I get

rid of
| them?

Judging from the picture, my guess is click beetles. The beetles in
your picture have the right shape and color for click beetles. The key
for me is the way the head angles from the thorax. Click beetles can
fly, but in particular they sort of jump when disturbed, with a
clicking sound (hence the name). I've never known them to particularly
attracted to tomatoes, but they may be in search of moisture.

Since these are eating your tomatoes, a stomach poison, such as
Rotenone, would be a good way to kill them. However, you probably
don't want to be spraying poisons on your tomatoes, although Rotenone
is comparatively benign.

Guy Bradley
Chesterfield MO
zone 6