Old 09-08-2004, 08:10 PM
griz

Default contorted hazel

mikey mike wrote:

corylus avellana contorta - or so it says on the label !

we've had it since february, and it has grown one 'new' branch - but the new
branch it straight - what should we do, leave it or lop it ?

regards
Mike

I have had this tree in my front garden for about 10 years now and it sends
quite a lot of these straight shoots from around the base - I think I might
have planted it too deep.

I only get to see these shoots when the leaves fall, which is when I cut
them down, close/below ground level.

I can't remember the last time I watered it, and definitely never fed it,
but it seeems to be doing quite well - it produces lots of hazelnuts.

It's not particularly nice in summer - very messy when the leaves are on,
but in winter and spring it's a different story, really graceful, specially
when the catkins elongate and the tiniest bright pink flowers show up on
the branches