Old 09-08-2004, 05:29 PM
Kay

Default contorted hazel

In article , mikey mike
writes
p.s. - i've read such plants should be fed with a 'high nitrogen'
fertiliser - can anybody suggest a suitable brand

All fertilisers have a set of three numbers somewhere on the label
giving the relative concentrations of nitrogen (N), potassium (K) and
phosphorous (P)

If you want good leaf growth you need the N number to be as high or
higher than the rest. For flower and fruit, you need the N to be lower
than the other two.

I doubt whether there is any need to feed the hazel. It's not a
particularly greedy plant, and will over the years grow quite big all by
itself. After 10 years, ours is 8 ft high with an 8 ft spread (or it had
until we reclaimed our path) and with a trunk too large to clasp your
hands around.

--
Kay