Old 09-08-2004, 11:52 PM
Joe Sandlin

Default Shreded paper as compost

William Brown wrote:

I know a lot of people use newspaper in the garden and just let it
decompose, so I would guess that not all inks are toxic.

Today, no inks available today in the USA for consumer end use are toxic,
AFAIK. I've got twenty years in the copier, printer, duplicator business,
and have watched the situation improve spectacularly as far as
enviro-friendly things go.

Black toner is essentially carbon black and a thermoplastic (think hot
glue). The colored inks in your newsprint are soy based.

Your shredded paper will also make great mulch. Once wetted down, it
doesn't blow away. Also, it makes great worm bedding. No worries.

Joe