Old 10-08-2004, 01:32 AM
Nedra

Default Filtration

Hi Dale,
I think I'd build a VF - rather long and narrow if you can ... It seems to
work better in
that configuration. Most people use the landscape timbers. Also, line the VF
with that
pink colored styrofoam stuff.

My VF is fed by a 500 gallon pump that sits on a shelf Across the
Pond from the VF. I attached a black hose to the pump and laid in on the
bottom
of the pond. It goes along side the VF and up the back. The hose is near the
bottom of
the VF which is about 18" deep ~ just hanging onto a milk crate.

If you need more info just let me know.

Nedra

"news.pcisys.net" wrote in message
Ok, I calculate my surface area around 399 sq. ft (19X21). 10% would
give me 39.9 or 40 sq. ft or 7 X 6. What depth and should the water
remain in the filter for 20 minutes prior to egress? That would be a
pretty slow flow, yes? I guess I could use the un used out flow on my
Silent Giant 4300 GPH and restrict the flow with a ball valve to achieve
the desired flow.
A rubbermaid 300 gallon tank would give me 362.25 ((63"L x 69"W)/12" =
362.25) sq. ft of surface area. Do you think that would be sufficient?
Thanks for your suggestions and comments.

W. Dale

Nedra wrote:
The veggie filter is 10% of the surface area of the pond... about 4 x

6.
I say it's almost never too late to add a veggie filter. I'm sure it

will
clear your pond in 2 to 3 days. Not only that, but the water
hyacinths, water celery, etc will be easy to come by. Alot cheaper

too!

Good Luck.

Nedra

"news.pcisys.net" wrote in message

How big is your veggie filter? I am contemplating adding a veggie
filter to my system, even at this late date in the season, to see if I
can clear up my water.
Thanks!

Nedra wrote:

I've been reading for years about having loads of plants in the pond to

keep

it clear.
My answer has to be my veggie filter. I don't have 'anything' growing

in

my koi pond ....
- not one thing except for tiny survivor lily. I guess there has to be

one

in every
crowd ;-)

Nedra

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in message

Nice that your pond cleared. We hear a bunch of different suggestions

that

all seem to have proponents and most have reasonable explanations.

Here is our status:

Our pond has been clear for several years now. Loads of plants

growing

like

mad seems to be the key for us. No icides. No bacterial enzymes.

Just
plants and more plants and circulation. The berm ponds collect loads

of
much each year and get drained once a year.

Jim

"John" wrote in message
m...

hey everyone. ive been working on my pumps and filtration methods. i

used

to pump about 8 gallons a minute through a somewhat thick filter

material

and within a week my pond was pretty clear. at the time the filtered

water

went directly into the pond from the filter material. now, i have

about
10-15 gallons per minute cascading down a waterfall and the top is

filled

with hyacinth. there is no filter material now... when i use filter
material (even with the old set up) i was cleaning the material

almost
everyday. i havnt had to change it all now with the hyacinth as my

filters,

but the pond is completely green now. what should i be doing in order

not

be cleaning my filters everyday and get my pond back to being clean.

The

filer is about 1 foot off the bottom of the pond so it doesnt pick up

any

muck.. is this correct? any help is appreciated
thanx!
John