Old 10-08-2004, 08:05 AM
John Flax

Default Pruning Pyracantha ?

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Ged
writes
When is the best time of year to prune a Pyracantha to ensure I get

flowers
and berries please ?

It's not so much the time of year, it's what you prune. Pyracantha
doesn't flower on this year's growth, so if you confine your pruning to
the long unbranched twigs from this year, you should get flowers on what
you have left.

Once you have flowers, you'll find that most of the year you have either
flower buds or flowers or fruits or stems where the birds have taken the
fruits, so from then on pruning is easy.
--
Kay

This is certainly not the 'scientific' method but it works well for me.

My bush was self-seeded near the garage wall so I have tied it to training
wires, I find it convenient to keep it about 6-feet wide, by 8-feet high and
1-foot thick. I prune approximately within these dimensions whilst trying to
keep a 'natural' shape. Decide how big you want yours to grow and cut it
back to that size.

In the Spring, I cut back the new grown to the clusters of flowers so that
they are well displayed. At the beginning of August, I cut back the new
growth so that the berries are not hidden by the new growth. I leave any new
growth within my arbitrary envelope to thicken up the bush.

If I see that growth at the back is pushing the bush away from the wall, I
cut out the offending branches.

My theory is that if it wasn't for the flowers and berries it would a very
dull bush so prune it to enjoy them to the full.