Old 10-08-2004, 08:10 AM
Kay

Default rhododendron not looking healthy ..?

In article , al
writes

Well .. not wanting to wash away the soil or anything ... but I did water it
pretty much directly for a good 5 minutes yesterday (and kept coming back
over it briefly during about the next 20 mins while I watered the rest of
the front). That may not sound like much, but it's a lot of direct water
from a hose (nozzle of course or I'd have just jet-washed it out of the
bed!). The soil, if I managed to stop it from ponding too much, is quite
happy to drink what seems like an infinite amount of water!

Am I better off doing this on Saturday and Sunday so it's thoroughly
drenched and then leaving it for the week to dry out a bit before repeating
the cycle?

Yes.
It's also work poking your finger into the soil after watering to see
how far down the water has penetrated. Sometimes after a surprisingly
long time watering you find you've still only wetted the top inch!

Kay