Old 10-08-2004, 02:49 PM
Crashj

Default how long to cure liner splice?

"Gabrielle" wrote in message
BV SAID:
At least as long the manufacturer recommends.
I let my stream run before the 24 hours that the seam tape manufacturer

recommended.
I have a leak to this day.

Now you tell me! I just finished reseaming the liner from my little
veggie filter to the stream. Only let it cure... oh, maybe five minutes
the first time. This time I gave it three hours, then covered the seam
with another layer of adhesive with a strip of liner on top of that,
then taped it all down with black plastic tape. So far, no noticeable
leaks -- except where the stream overflowed on the sides and that is
fixed. Of course, it's only been 36 hours . . .

Question: what are you using for an adhesive? Is this a glue or seam sealing
tape? Most silicone rubber in a tube is a sealer and glues things together
more by coincidence that design. Also, all the protection you provide
prevents evaporation of the solvents in other materials and inhibits cure.
Silicones expect some moisture from the air to cure fully, too. Tape
adhesives just need some time to lock onto the substrate roughness.
--
Crashj