Old 10-08-2004, 01:40 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Default Celtis & Cannabaceae

Obviously Pteroceltis, but also Trema and Gironniera. Parasponia. Note
that Kew does not include Aphananthe and Lozanella, but the APG site does.
Exclude Ampelocera.

Iris Cohen schreef
Good grief! I never heard of any of these. Are they tropical species? Are

they good for anything?

* * *
Well, it is just like with Celtis, most are tropical, some temperate.
I would have thought Trema to be fairly well known.
It is pretty widely planted in the tropics.
Pteroceltis is only the one species, from China.
Gironniera has a handful of species in Asia: it crops up from time to time,
as does Aphananthe

I must admit never to have heard of Parasponia either, or Lozanella
PvR