Old 10-08-2004, 08:41 AM
Martin Brown

Default Pruning Pyracantha ?

In message , Kay
writes
In article , Ged
writes
When is the best time of year to prune a Pyracantha to ensure I get flowers
and berries please ?

It's not so much the time of year, it's what you prune. Pyracantha
doesn't flower on this year's growth, so if you confine your pruning to
the long unbranched twigs from this year, you should get flowers on what
you have left.

Once you have flowers, you'll find that most of the year you have either
flower buds or flowers or fruits or stems where the birds have taken the
fruits, so from then on pruning is easy.

I don't think pruning a large established pyracantha is easy at all. The
plant bites back and its long sharp spines go through my thickest
gardening gloves with impunity. Good burglar deterrent though.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown