Old 04-08-2004, 07:02 PM
Katra

Default Slug infestation in worm box

In article t,
belly wrote:

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 01:42:36 -0500 in
, Katra
graced the world with this thought:

In article uViCr8LlbtmJ-pn2-gu7pp3mIEv4o@poblano,
"Stan Goodman" wrote:

I generate compost in a large closed (but ventilated) box inhabited by
redworms. This arrangement has been running successfully for at least five
years. There are many, many worms in the material, and they look happy
(for
worms).

About a week ago I noticed that there were some large slugs in the box;
today there are many more. I don't really know if this is a bad thing, but
intuitively I feel it is something that needs attention fast.

I would appreciate comments from people who actually know something about
slugs and/or vermiculture, about what, if anything, should be done.

I have searched for a newsgroup devoted to vermiculture or composting, but
have failed to find one. If someone knows of a group more appropriate to
this question than rec.gardens.edible, please don't hesitate to point it
out.

Place a few pans of dark beer in there.
That will take care of the slugs. ;-)

It really does work!

K.

all that ever happens when I try this is I come out in the morning and
find cigarette butts and half eaten nachos.

rofl Party slugs eh? ;-D

Seriously, it's helped a lot in the one garden where the slugs were
eating my swiss chard. Nary any slug damage now and we find dozens of
drowned slugs in the beer pans. :-)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...