Old 10-08-2004, 06:15 PM
Kay

Default Pruning Pyracantha ?

In article , Martin Brown
writes
In message , Kay
writes

Once you have flowers, you'll find that most of the year you have either
flower buds or flowers or fruits or stems where the birds have taken the
fruits, so from then on pruning is easy.

I don't think pruning a large established pyracantha is easy at all. The
plant bites back and its long sharp spines go through my thickest
gardening gloves with impunity. Good burglar deterrent though.

I suppose this is from experience in my own garden - I'd much prefer to
prune three pyracantha bushes than 110ft of hawthorn hedge ;-)

If the proportions were the other way around I might feel differently.
--
Kay