Old 10-08-2004, 04:14 PM
Martin Brown

Default Wooly Aphids - Help Required

In message , gary davis
writes

"Jean" wrote in message

I am having some difficulties getting rid of wooly aphids on my
phyracantha - they are taking over. I have tried pressure hosing and
various chemical preparations but they are still winning the war so any
ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

On 8/7/04 3:35 PM, in article ,
"Troglodyte"

wrote:

I have had good success with a plain (not anti-bac.) washing-up liquid in
water. It is sprayed finely under the leaves (point the nozzle upward). I
cleared a long beach hedge completely this way 4 weeks ago, no return!

Are you sure they were woolly aphids? They mainly sit in cracks in the
bark rather than under leaves - there was a plague of white flies
affecting beech hedges a few weeks back. They would be easily
discouraged.

Just what are wooly aphids...?...Aphids from Siberia where it is really
cold??? If they are aphid type aphids then dish soap...or washing-up
liquid (these are the same thing aren't they?) will work.

It won't even touch them. They are an aphid, but with a specific
adaptation for living on tree bark where they cause wounds to fester and
protect themselves from predators and pesticides with a fabulous waxy
furry white secretion (not unlike mealy bug nests). The only thing that
will get them reliably is a winter tar oil wash or an aggressive
systemic insecticide.

Small numbers can be killed by using a stiff brush dipped in meths. That
is what I use to control them on my fruit trees. But on an ornamental
like pyracantha I would not hesitate to use dimethoate or similar.

will be dead...I AM assuming that wooly aphids are just aphids...from
Siberia! I am teasing but if wooly aphids are something other than aphids,
please let me know. And I apologize for not knowing...good luck.

They are aphids but not as you know them.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown