Old 11-08-2004, 12:31 AM
Scott Ranger

Default Celtis & Cannabaceae

I hate to be a pedantic curmudgeon, but I have ample evidence just from
Iris's "signature" that her whole point of view of Kingdom Plantae is from
that of a gardener where everything must have a "use". I have a very
different point of view. Many years ago in Forestry School, I had a textbook
called "Design With Nature" by Ian McHarg. He has a line that has stuck with
me through the years, and done me very well: "That which is is. It is
justified only by being." Not everything must be "useful" by mere human
standards. But many of these "useless" plants have proven to be very
"useful" in unveiling the tree of life. Often it takes long study to
determine what is "useful". Garden plants are just one of a wide variety of
"uses".
Scott

"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
Obviously Pteroceltis, but also Trema and Gironniera. Parasponia. Note

that
Kew does not include Aphananthe and Lozanella, but the APG site does.
Exclude Ampelocera.

Good grief! I never heard of any of these. Are they tropical species? Are

they
good for anything?
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40