Old 11-08-2004, 12:43 AM
Rusty Mase

Default Trapping and releasing squirrels

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 00:59:01 GMT, "Jay Casey"
wrote:

I have a family of 4-5 black squirrels that are damaging our flower beds,

There are "tree squirrels" and "ground squirrels" in Austin. The type
of squirrel that has a predominately black fore-front and does not
inhabit trees is a Rock Squirrel. It is about the same size as the
Fox Squirrel - a type of tree squirrel. Rock Squirrels are really
only big ground squirrels and are more closely related to the littler
ground squirrels that dig holes and used to be common at Zilker Park.

You can probably discourage them by removing or interfering with their
habitat - removing piles of loose rocks, closing underground voids in
rocks, etc.. If you do catch and release them make sure you are
matching this type of habitat in which to release them.

Rock Squirrels on the easternmost edge of their range here in Austin
and I would recommend a little more tolerance of their presence and
damage than the ubiquitous Fox Squirrel.

Rusty Mase