Old 11-08-2004, 09:47 AM
steve

Default Greening of hyacinths continues; iron seems to be the issue; experiments continue

"Jim and Phyllis Hurley" wrote in message ...
Our hyacinths continue to move from yellow to green on the berm. In the
pond, the greening is much less. Additions: only iron.

We noted that some of our other plants were also yellowing. They too may be
short on iron.

The hyacinths in a tub of water with a little iron and a little fertilizer
have not changed noticeably, although there was a big algae bloom for a
couple of days. Not sure what to conclude from that. Maybe those hyacinth
were too far gone.

We added some tomato fertilizer last night. Will watch that for a few days
to see if there is a significant change.

The ph is still 9, so that does not seem to preclude the greening.

Overall, it seems the iron was the issue.

Jim

Jim what about the epsom salts? sprinkled on the leaves. I will say
that for your hyacinths that with short roots, try the chelated stuff.
Add it sparingly once a week because my plants went from yellow/ green
to dark green two weeks later. The Chelated growmore organic 10% stuff
seemed to really make my stuff super green compared to my old iron
ferilizer. You might be deceiving yourself with the epsom salts
because the plants getting iron get in progressivly better shape over
weeks.