Old 11-08-2004, 11:48 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default wasps in oak tree

In article ,
Stephen Howard writes:

| No, I'm not. We discussed this some time ago and I specifically asked
| if you had observed ant movement and behaviour at night. You said no,
| and admitted it was a fair point. It still is.
| I feel it's important to lay that caveat against any conclusions you
| may have drawn from your studies.

For heaven's sake! You clearly don't understand the investigations
that I performed. With one of the two, it would be relevant, were
the ants in my garden active at night (they aren't, at least not
much). With the other, IT IS COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT.

| While that is true, (a) the ants in the relevant location were all
| diurnal (from separate observation) and (b) it does not affect my
| investigations of patterns of infestation (checking on whether ants
| spread aphids).
|
| The former precludes the latter, surely.
| Ants are highly active at night - who knows what they might have been
| up to in the wee small hours?

That has PRECISELY NOTHING to do with the latter point. As I have
pointed out several times, my pattern of infestation investigations
are as relevant to whether ants are active during the day, at night
or only between 23 and 54 minutes past the hour.

And please do try to read before posting nonsense. AS I SAID, I
have investigated the nocturnal ant activity in my garden, and it
is minimal compared to the diurnal. BUT THE INVESTIGATION TO WHICH
THAT MIGHT BE RELEVANT IS NOT THE SAME ONE AS THE ABOVE.

To repeat: I performed MORE THAN ONE investigation, and they used
different methodologies.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.