Old 11-08-2004, 02:01 PM
Tim Challenger

Default Pepper plant help please

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:16:46 +0100, Stephen Howard wrote:

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:03:28 +0200, Tim Challenger
wrote:

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 11:49:48 +0100, Bob Hobden wrote:

"Shirl" wrote
Im a real newbie gardener and need some help with my pepper plants please.
I now have little white flowers on that have opened a little more each
day,
now should I be hand pollinating them or just leaving them?

Also when they finally do become peppers, I believe they all start out
green
but if left some turn red, how long does that process take roughly?

Normally they pollinate themselves quite well so don't need any help from
the gardener, I presume you are either growing them outside, or, if in a
greenhouse the door and any vents are open to allow pollinating insects to
do their stuff.
Yes they all start off green and I've never had one go truly red outside
just a blackish tinge which precedes the red colour.

You'll be lucky to get them red before the frosts now I'm afraid. Some
sorts don't got red, of course but stay green. Whatever, you can eat them
any time, but are really ripe when the green changes a shade darker - that
deep green like the ones in the supermarket is good.

Mine are at the 'cherry tom' size ( in a greenhouse )...given a fair
wind and a bit of luck d'you think there's any chance of them getting
to anything but green?

It's possible, if it stays warm and sunny. (so not much chance then)
Once they start going dark green they'll likely turn in a few days to a
week or so.
Give them a bit of tomato feed as well if you want. It can help.

--
Tim C.