Old 11-08-2004, 11:39 PM
Warren

Default Boundry fencing- which way round should the panels be?

davew wrote:
What is the convention when installing panel fencing along a boundry
as regards which way round the panels should be? I have entered into
a minor disagreement with a neighbour on this subject. Should the
"pretty" side face into my side or considerately out to the neighbours
garden?

When I was growing up, the "pretty" side always faced outward. That
would mean facing the neighbors. It's only recently that I've seen
exceptions to that convention.

Here's the thing. If I put up a fence, and turn the ugly side towards
the neighbors, they either have to look at the ugly side, or go through
the expense to screen it. If putting up the fence was my idea, then the
right thing would be for me to give them the side that doesn't need
screening. I can then screen my side of the fence.

I've also seen more fences that don't have "pretty" sides. The "good
neighbor" 6' cedar fence, with vertical slats alternating from one side
to the other is a really popular one. Horizontal slats basket-weaved
around spaces between posts is a nice one, too.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Books for the Pacific Northwest gardener:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/nwgarden/index.html