Old 12-08-2004, 05:46 AM
Craig

Default self propelled mower opinions wanted

Hello, I'm presently in the market for a self propel and am considering the
following models:

CUB CADET SRC621 (Lowes) - Intrigued by the caster wheels, like the Kawasaki
engine, 6 speed transmission, larger bag than some. Negative is difficult
oil changes.

HUSQVARNA 5521CHV (Lowes) - Like the Honda engine, large rear wheels (have
some rough spots in one corner of the yard).

TORO 20031 (Home Depot) - I like the electric start, 22" deck, fast top
end propel speed (sometimes I jog with the mower along the straight aways).

HONDA HRX217TDA (Home Depot) - Actually my 1st choice, as It appears to
perform well in all areas and I'm intrigued at the idea of mulching and
bagging at the same time. There have been a few times I had wished I could
do that. Big negative is it's EXPENSIVE!

CRAFTSMAN 37779 - Like the Honda engine, ball bearing wheels, single wheel
adjuster.

I'm leaning towards the Toro as it seems to offer the best balance of
features for the price. Data I
would like to know, but have been unable to find:
How quiet is the engine on each of these mowers?
How do they compare in mulching and bagging performance? (Consumer reports
rates the Honda & the Cub Cadet the best among those I've selected for
mulching, and all about equal for bagging).
General ease of use.
If you own or have used these mowers, how did you like them?

Thanks for the advice!
Craig