Old 12-08-2004, 07:44 AM
Jerry Hoffmeister

Default removing orchid from net pot

I recently potted up a cattleya that was in a tiny clay pot by just putting
the whole pot in a bigger one and now it's in spike Lc Mini Purple 'Blue
Hawaii'. Roots were all over the outside of the tiny pot. I figure it will
walk out of the small pot...

Anyway, you could shake out as much media as you can and leave the old pot
on when you pot up or I was thinking u could cut the old pot away?

"James Aldridge" wrote in message
...I suppose I could also stick with inorganic media and just nest the
smaller net pot into a bigger one. Hmmm.

Jim

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 01:09:51 -0500, James Aldridge
wrote:

I have been using a lot of net pots with great success, especially for
Phalaenopsis and Onicidium. When it comes time to repot, I end up
having to tear a lot of roots since they often grow through the fine
mesh and cannot be removed intact. Do you think this is a problem and,
if so, any suggested solutions? I suppose I could repot more often,
before a lot of roots have grown through the mesh. Or I could go back
to clay pots. Suggestions? Thanks.

Jim