Old 12-08-2004, 10:57 AM
Nick Gray

Default Boundry fencing- which way round should the panels be?

"davew" wrote in message
om...
What is the convention when installing panel fencing along a boundry
as regards which way round the panels should be? I have entered into
a minor disagreement with a neighbour on this subject. Should the
"pretty" side face into my side or considerately out to the neighbours
garden?

Answers on a post card please (or my email address)

Regards

Davew

Hi Dave,

AFAIK there is nothing in UK law that states which way round a fence should
face, the normal convention is that you put the good face towards your
neighbour. However check your deeds as you may find that the boundary
belongs to your neighbour, and they 'might' put up a fence with the good
side facing you.

Bear in mind that if you are concreting the posts in, you may have to come
back from the boundary line, so you can dig the footings on your property.

Having said that, I'd suggest erecting a fence that looks good from both
sides, post and rail, standard lapped panels, interlap panels, trellis
panels or plastic coated chain link. Both Jewson
http://www.jewsonlandscaping.co.uk/index.html and B&Q http://www.diy.com
have brochures on fencing so you can show your neighbour what you plan on
doing.

FYI there is a UK specific gardening newsgroup at uk.rec.gardening

HTH

Cheers