Old 12-08-2004, 01:43 PM
Jim Elbrecht

Default Boundry fencing- which way round should the panels be?

(davew) wrote:

What is the convention when installing panel fencing along a boundry
as regards which way round the panels should be? I have entered into
a minor disagreement with a neighbour on this subject. Should the
"pretty" side face into my side or considerately out to the neighbours
garden?

Check local ordinances. Most fence ordinances that I've seen
require the finished side to be towards the neighbor.

My brother's neighbor put up a board fence right on the property line.
It had nice broad cross-pieces, & since his side had a southern
exposure he was eyeing those crosspieces as nice shelves for some
dangling plants.

Then the building inspector arrived & made the neighbor switch the
fence around. My brother was out there when the inspector and
neighbor were discussing the fence & he stated his desire that the
fence remain as it was. No dice-- The neighbor had to change the
fence to comply with the code. Managed to make both homeowners
unhappy with just one ruling.

Answers on a post card please (or my email address)

Reap as you sow-- if you can post here, you can stop back to read
your answers.

Jim