Old 12-08-2004, 02:05 PM
Jim Elbrecht

Default self propelled mower opinions wanted

"Craig" wrote:

Hello, I'm presently in the market for a self propel and am considering the
following models:

-snip-
HONDA HRX217TDA (Home Depot) - Actually my 1st choice, as It appears to
perform well in all areas and I'm intrigued at the idea of mulching and
bagging at the same time. There have been a few times I had wished I could
do that. Big negative is it's EXPENSIVE!

I don't know much about mowers, but this spring I asked my neighbor, a
small engine mechanic who works in a shop that sells mostly Toro &
John Deere stuff to keep his eyes open for a trade-in rear bagger for
me for $100-150. He showed up in a couple weeks with a 2 yr old
Honda. "I can get $350 for these all week long." says he, but he
gave me this one for $150. At the time I didn't think it was
really that great a deal--- Come on 'A plastic mower?'-- but I know
my neighbor & I figured I was probably also getting a lifetime
warranty with the thing. [He's the kind of guy that will hear my
mower/trimmer/chainsaw running & show up with a couple screwdrivers &
say 'Hey, let me tune that thing up for you.' Sometimes he even
brings his own beers over.]

But now I'm a believer---

-snip-
How quiet is the engine on each of these mowers?

Whisper quiet-- I didn't know an infernal combustion engine could be
so quiet.

How do they compare in mulching and bagging performance? (Consumer reports
rates the Honda & the Cub Cadet the best among those I've selected for
mulching, and all about equal for bagging).

My only comparison on this lawn is with a Craftsman rider, so the
Honda wins hands down. It even handles semi-wet grass handily. I
just cut damp 3" grass down to 1" & didn't see so much as a blade
sticking to my sneakers.

General ease of use.

It starts with 1/2 a pull of the cord. Switches from rear-bagger to
mulcher in 10 seconds. There are 2 forward speeds but I've
only ever used the fast one. It did take me a while to learn that
you release the clutch & free-wheel on the corners to keep from
spinning the rear tires.

If you own or have used these mowers, how did you like them?

Before I had this thing I couldn't imagine paying $6-700 for a walk
behind mower-- now I can. [though I like my $150 one betterg]

Jim