Old 12-08-2004, 07:09 PM
paghat

Default gallon pots

"chaz" wrote in message
are plastic gallon pots readily available from garden centers? i cannot

seem
to locate any. I am looking for standard black 1 gallon pots.

If you were anywhere near Puget Sound you could come & get mine for free.
I must have a couple hundred accumulated, hate to just throw them away,
but the nurseries don't want them back.

If you have a local paper like "The Little Nickle" you could put an add in
it asking for free black plastic pots. I bet lots of people are like me,
can't bare to waste them in the garbage, has no earthly use for them in a
garden.

Rosedale Nursery in Gig Harbor has a "junk pile" of these black pots with
a sign that says "Take all you want!"

Seems like there really should be a better recycling system in place, but
I guess for the gallon-size at least, it's just cheaper to keep using new
resources than to pay for the gas to pick them up or send them back to the
growers.

The nurseries WILL take much bigger one's back & even refund part of the
price of the plant that came in the pot, but I like the really big pots
for moving compost & suchlike.

-paggers

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"