Old 12-08-2004, 01:06 PM
Fritz von Herbenfeller

Default Asparagus in TEXAS; is it possible??

It does great here in Fredericksburg so I imagine East Texas would be
better. Take no shortcuts on the planting do it by "the book". Which is,
dig a 18" w by 18"deep trench, lay out the roots, which will be a foot in
diameter or more, cover to the crown with mostly compost and gradually fill
in the trench with compost/dirt mixture as it grows. You better be sure to
have all bermuda grass within ten feet of killed before you start and keep
it out. Broadleaf weeds must be pulled or killed with salt water spray.
Yes-salt water. It will not hurt the asparagus. But don't overdo as it
will have to go somewhere. Lay out a soaker hose on it when trench is
filled, and keep the soil damp until it is well out of the normal soil
level.. Then you won't have to use it very much in East Texas I imagine.
You won't be able to put the soaker hose down after it is grown and filled
out. It will grow at least 6 ft high if done right. Don't harvest the
first year and just a little the second year. Harvest by cutting with a
sharp serrated knife an inch or two below the surface of the ground. Mow or
otherwise remove the dead tops after a couple hard freezes. Add a couple
inches or more of sawdust or compost every winter. Fertilize with high
Nitrogen every spring after it strarts growing.
I repeat-unless you have 2 feet of rich top soil already you will be wasting
your time if you shortcut this procedure.