Old 12-08-2004, 07:38 PM
JennyC

Default What is this mystery plant? (photo)

"Richard Sterry" wrote in message
Hello all.

Please can anyone identify this plant which grows in a couple of places
alongside the side path of our house, where it's pretty shady and damp? The
plant pops up from time to time, in a couple of places, and then dies back
only to reappear a few weeks/months later. I don't recall ever seeing it
flower.

It resembles a large four-leaf clover with a purple patch in the centre, and
stands about 15-20cm high (6-8" in old money). I have not seen it anywhere
else, and no-one I have asked has been able to identify it. Mind you, that
isn't saying much as they are all as ignorant about plants as I am!

There is a good-quality photo at
http://www.sterry.org.uk/temp/mysteryplant.jpg .

Thanks
Rick

It's Oxalis deppei - likes lots of water.........

Oxalis tetraphylla syn. Oxalis deppei has green leaves with the center of the
leaf reddish brown. It the variety 'Iron Cross' is is very deep. This is the
"four leafed clover". It is a summer bloomer from Mexico. Photo by Bill Dijk
http://www.ibiblio.org/pbs/pbswiki/f...tetraphylla.jp

Jenny