Old 12-08-2004, 10:18 PM
Franz Heymann

Default What is this mystery plant? (photo)

"Richard Sterry" wrote in message
JennyC wrote:

[snip]

Oxalis tetraphylla syn. Oxalis deppei has green leaves with the

center of
the leaf reddish brown. It the variety 'Iron Cross' is is very

deep. This
is the "four leafed clover". It is a summer bloomer from Mexico.

Photo by
Bill Dijk

http://www.ibiblio.org/pbs/pbswiki/f...tetraphylla.jp

Jenny

Thanks Jenny.

The leaves certainly look a pretty good match to me, but we've never

seen
any flowers - we didn't even know if it was a wild plant or a

cultivated
one. Interestingly, now that the light is failing, the leaves have

folded
down so that the leaf edges touch, which then makes the leaves

resemble the
flights of a dart. You can just see this happening on the leaves at

the
extreme bottom right of the photo that you pointed to.

That is a common feature of many (all?) members of the Oxalis genus.

If I could figure out what it needs to enable it to flower, I would

gladly
do the necessary as it's an interesting little plant.

Probably putting it in a good light will help. But watch it, many of
this genus are very rampant and are quite difficult to eradicate once
they have established a colony.

Franz