Old 13-08-2004, 03:05 AM
Ray

Default removing orchid from net pot

GrinAw, c'mon, Jim. Don't be lazy. /Grin

I'd spend a lot of time clipping the plastic pot before I'd resort to root
chopping. Not that it wouldn't possibly come to that, but it's not a
starting point.

..
"James Aldridge" wrote in message
Anyway, you could shake out as much media as you can and leave the old

pot
on when you pot up or I was thinking u could cut the old pot away?

The net pots I use have way too many holes with roots growing through
them to make it feasible to cut the pot off the root system.

I also think it would be hard to remove much medium from the root mass
without removing the orchid from the pot.

I have been leaning towards the notion that a clean cut along the
inside of the basket will lop off a lot of roots, but the root systems
are still *huge*, so I think I will be okay. After all, cutting roots
often stimulates new root growth. I will also try not to let things
get too out of hand before up-potting.

Other comments? Thank you.

Jim