Old 13-08-2004, 08:58 AM
gregpresley

Default Butterfly Bush

Usually planting of any shrub in the deep south is discouraged exactly for
what you described. Two weeks of really hot dry weather with no rain and no
irrigation is enough to do in a shrub that hasn't stuck its roots into every
crack and crevice around. I had a number of ornamentals die on me when I
lived in north Florida which I planted in late spring (like April). Even
with hand watering many of them could not make it through a hot dry May
until the rains came in June. I finally learned that with any kind of tree
or shrub, November or December planting seemed to be best in the deep south.
Even so, a really droughty summer could kill off something that appeared to
be established.
"Perry Templeton" wrote in message
Planted a nice size (about 4' tall), vibrant Butterfly Bush about 6 weeks
ago. It did well, bloomed, made new blooms. The this past week, it just
crashed and died. Leaves wilted and then it just croaked. I am in South
Louisiana. Zone 10. Everything else in that flowerbed is doing fine and
growing strong.
Wonder what happened. We had a lot of rain but then the last two weeks

have
been really hot and dry. The Butterfly Bush was on the east side of the
house.

Perry