Old 13-08-2004, 08:37 AM
Katra

Default Trapping and releasing squirrels

In article ,
"Jay Casey" wrote:

"Rusty Mase" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 05:53:43 GMT, "Jay Casey"
wrote:

You described these squirrels perfectly as if you have seen them in our
yard.

Not so far but there are a number of families in my neighborhood. I
need to augment some rock piles to entice them in but as they are
already around so I am not too concerned at the moment.

We have a squirrel here that behaves mostly like a Prairie Dog but can
also function if need be as a tree squirrel. Burrows under rocks and
boulders and stores food in its burrow. Eats just about everything
possible, even meat accordingly to the book I have. So you might try
feeding them to draw them away from your flower beds. You might even
put up a small non-obtrusive fence just to direct them away from the
flower beds to a feeding location somewhere else.

They finish having young by August so you could "run them off"
sometime after that. According to my book they are not colonial so
you probably just have the single family. So I am unsure of the
effects of feeding them. Just as an experiment you might throw some
sunflower seeds and fruit sections around on the opposite side of
their burrow from your beds. Maybe they would occupy their time
locating those instead of digging around in the beds.

If I feed & water them, would they stay off her flowers,
or will they be unable to overcome their appetite for her beautiful

flowers?

No clue, here, but you could play around with alternate food sources
and report back to us on any successes.

Rusty Mase
Paisano Industries LLP
www.paisano.com

You sound like you want them in your yard, Rusty. Take ours. :-)

Our guests (or pests) appear to be a single family.
We saw the young few months ago.
I bought a Havahart trap from the Tractor Supply. (Thank you, Katra.)

Welcome! :-)

Few days before I bought it, my wife put some fox urine around her flower
bed,
and we haven't seen them since. The trap has gone 2 days untouched.
Since we see them more often on weekends (as we spend more time at home),
I am not sure if it is an effect of fox urine or just coincidence.

If fox urine works, I rather chase them away with it (as a family) than
relocating them one at a time. Someone stated earlier here that
relocated animals get attacked by resident ones and often get killed.

Is it possible that they just picked up and left (not due to fox urine)?
Time to move on??
Or is it against their natural tendency?

Fox urine! Where did you get that???
I wonder if it'd keep squirrels off of my bird feeders? G

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...