Old 13-08-2004, 01:30 PM
Robert Harvey

Default What's the matter with my oak tree?

wrote:

Oh I say. Thank you very much. It seems to be the common spangle
gall, with some of Mr. Harvey's smooth spangle gall, which I
mistook for "immature galls". Fascinating stuff,

Isn't it. My oak has the common and silk spangles every year, and
occasionally this one:
http://www.bioimages.org.uk/HTML/P45254.HTM

and over half our acorns have Knopper galls
http://www.bioimages.org.uk/HTML/P30118.HTM
http://www.kulak.ac.be/facult/wet/biologie/pb/kulakbiocampus/gallen/pagina's/eik-knoppergal2-Andricus%20quercuscalicis.htm
although they look more like the picture he
http://www.gwydir.demon.co.uk/insects/cynipidae.htm

On that last page is a robin's pin cushion - we have that on a wild rose
this year for the first time I can remember since moving here. I
suspect the 'robin' in question might be robin goodfellow. What do you
think?