Old 13-08-2004, 06:53 PM
Doug Kanter

Default self propelled mower opinions wanted

"Phisherman" wrote in message

I got the Toro 20017 which is the same as the Toro 20031 with the
electric start and it is $50 more. Paid $353 total (tax included)
with the Home Depot 10% discount coupon. The battery in the electric
start typically goes bad within a couple years so I decided against
the 20031 model. All gas mowers are loud and the 2-cycle mowers are
louder. Mulching is important and this Toro 20017 mulches well. The
Personal Pace feature is certainly unusual as it feels like the mower
wants to "walk with you" and you feel like you are never fighting the
mower. The Tecumseh engine life is 250 hours. Toro mower repair is
ranked #1, above Honda, in Consumer Reports. My old Honda mower is
falling apart, and my LawnBoy broke down every season. I have to mow
on hills, so a front-wheel drive would not be a good choice (I looked
at Troy-Bilt). If you want more opinions, see
http://www.epinions.com/

I hope that engine life estimate is a typo error. The Tecumseh in my Aryens
snow blower is probably into its 5000th hour so far and it still starts with
no more than 2 pulls, even if it's five below zero and hasn't been touched
since being winterized 9 months earlier.