Old 13-08-2004, 05:25 PM
Kay

Default Fence Problem

In article , Bill
Pritchard writes
It isn't disputed that the fence is my responsibility. My neighbour claims that
he replaced the old one prior to my moving in here. It is a low fence and to
have some privacy I have stapled a 6ft screen to it. My neighbour says that he
doesn't like the look of it and if I don't remove it he will take down his
fence with my screen attached and leave us with nothing between us. Where do I
stand?

AFAIK you can have a fence up to 2m but above that you need planning
permission.

If it's his fence, you should not have stapled your screen to it without
his permission. But there's no reason why you shouldn't erect your own
supports, on your ground, for your screen.

But obviously it's best to come to some agreement. You could stand firm
on your need for a 6ft screen, but perhaps he could be persuaded to pay
half in order to get a screen he likes the look of?
--
Kay