Old 13-08-2004, 06:17 PM
Rod

Default netiquette

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 19:45:52 +0100, "Fiev"
wrote:

re my earlier posts - sorry if i offended anyone - bad day at the office :-(

i'll try again

can anyone tell me what some white markings might be that have appeared on
the leaves of a tomato plant i'm growing in a window box. the markings have
also appeared on a basil plant i was growing nearby.

thanks in advance.

fiev

Look carefully under the affected leaves. The marks could be feeding
marks from sucking pests like thrips or red spider mites. In either
case you'll most likely need a decent hand lens to see the offenders
clearly. Google should throw up some images of these suspects. Basil
is equally susceptible to these pests. Thrips is my first bet - the
feeding marks are more obvious and they're more likely to be found
outdoors than are rsm. Predators are available to control these pests
or use a suitable pesticide (the label will tell you if it's suitable)
I wouldn't use the fatty acid based materials - don't like soap
flavoured toms.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.