Old 13-08-2004, 06:28 PM
Rod

Default Acer Palmatum Inaba Shidare

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 20:08:59 +0100, "Seb Flyte"
wrote:

Last May (2003) my daughter bought me a beautiful Acer with the above label,
about 1m high. I transferred to a big pot (40 cm diameter at the top and 40
cm high) filled with a mixture of commercial compost, homemade compost and
loam soil. I put it in a sheltered spot with no direct sunlight. Despite
regular watering and feeding its leaves shrivelled and fell by mid-August.
As you remember 2003 was our Mediterranean summer in SE England and I feared
it was dead. But thankfully it came back. This year the same problem has
re-emerged , that is leaf shrivelling in July and leaf-fall now. There is no
sign of the wonderful autumn colour mentioned in the literature and I wonder
if this is the variety is not true. The initial leaves were red, turned to
green in the centre and remained that way until starting to shrivel by end
July. I have watered really a lot and it is out of direct sunlight.
What is happening? I have had shrubs faring poorly in pots and then thriving
when planted out. This would be next thing to try. But it isn't very
scientific. I really want this plant to do well and remind me of my lovely
daughter for the rest of my natural. Any help would be gratefully accepted.

Best regards

Seb

I think you and Sacha have got it in one. I would just add that these
are not at all easy to grow well in containers, as well as the cold
wet roots in winter, in the summer those unfortunate roots are going
to get poached if wet or roasted if dry. If you can find or make a
spot with some dappled shade, shelter from drying winds and a well
drained slightly acid soil your plant will deliver the goods as
advertised

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.