Old 13-08-2004, 08:27 PM
Sarah Dale

Default Lavender

Kay wrote:

yep, hack it back as far as you dare and a little bit further, otherwise
next year's will grow on an ugly stump of dead wood

Except that if you cut back into dead wood it may not regenerate. My
neighbour killed a whole hedge of lavender that way.

However, when I moved into this house I inherited a GINORMOUS lavender
(we're talking 6 ft sprawl of plant here, with 1" plus diameter main stems
and don't ask about the "trunk"!!!).

I cut it back heavily in order to reclaim the path and some of the border it
was in. The plant survived this - although it never did regrow from the
major stumps.

I then cut it back VERY heavily about 2 yrs ago to move it, as I need the
space it was in for something in.

The plant survived transplatation, and has actually regrown (in areas) from
the old wood.

However, I would suggest you only try this approach on a plant you don't
mind loosing. I have been very lucky with it. Indeed, I must soon cut it
back again, before it over grows its new location.

Sarah