Old 14-08-2004, 01:19 AM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Lavender

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 12:06:57 GMT, aka Robbie wrote:

How far back can I prune my lavender? I have five plants and all have grown
to about twice the size I would like them to be. Now that the flowers are
going off would it be ok to cut them right back?

The conventional wisdom is that lavender doesn't take well to
hard cutting back into the wood. The corollary to this is that if
they are seriously overgrown, it's best to replace them. That's
easy enough to do, since lavender cuttings root very easily.

However, I have seen lavenders savagely cut back in later winter
-- pollarded, almost -- recover quite nicely.

I realize this leaves you with a dilemma, but be glad I didn't
mention chickens, blue skin dye, and naked dancing under the full
moon, thereby leaving you in a trilemma.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada