Old 13-08-2004, 12:40 PM
Jim Lewis

On 13 Aug 2004 at 3:32, wrote:

Hi folks,
I thought I'd post a message here and see if anyone can help me. A
week ago I dug up a large azalea from the flowerbed at my mother's
house. She passed away in January and the house is being sold. I
suppose the plant has been in the ground for 15-20 years, but that's
only a guess. I was wondering if someone can help me identify it. I'm
fairly sure it's some type of satsuki, only because it bloomed
vigorously all through June. The flowers are a bright fuscia/pink, and
small, about 1¼ " across. They are also a hose-in-hose, no ruffles,
but a very standard satsuki shape with 5 distinct star-like petals
(only double). I would think that this is some type of domestic
variety. I'm sure it came from a garden center or nursery. If anyone
has any ideas, I'd be grateful.

Go to your public library and check out Fred Galle's "Azaleas." It
is the English-speaking-world's bible on Azaleas. It's likely that
you can ID your plant there. Galle had a hand in on Ortho's "All
About Azaleas (and Rhododendrons?)" too, but it is only a sketch of
the big book.

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - Nature

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: