Old 13-08-2004, 04:49 PM
Alan Walker

Of course, if you can read Japanese, there are even
better resources, but that it unlikely here. ;-)
There are over a thousand varieties of satsuki azaleas,
so you may find that getting the exact name of your cultivar is
like finding a needle in a haystack. If you can figure out which
nursery originally sold the azalea to your mother, the best way
of identifying it would be to take a sprig with a bloom on it to
them next year.
However, the best source on azalea taxonomy of which I am
aware is a CD available through El Dorado Bonsai called “Satsuki
Dictionary.” It can be ordered through their web site at:
http://www.edbonsai.com/
El Dorado Bonsai / Enchanted Gardens Nursery and El Dorado
Bonsai,
Dolly & Fred Fassio, 3201 Newtown Road, Placerville, CA 95667,
Appt. only - Re. - Who., (530) 295-0200, (530) 295-2222,

At $100 you may find the price is steep, but it is a very
good value when you consider all the information which is packed
into it. “This Dictionary lists 1106 varieties, Monthly SATSUKI
STUDY is used as a reference. From AKANE listed in this
Dictionary through WAKUDAMA are the varieties registered between
1994 and 2000.”
Alan Walker

From: Jim Lewis
Go to your public library and check out Fred Galle's "Azaleas."
It
is the English-speaking-world's bible on Azaleas. It's likely
that
you can ID your plant there. Galle had a hand in on Ortho's "All
About Azaleas (and Rhododendrons?)" too, but it is only a sketch
of
the big book.

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - Nature