Old 13-08-2004, 10:15 PM
Jim Lewis

On 13 Aug 2004 at 14:17, Alan Walker wrote:

Jim: Cultural and bonsai information weren't mentioned in the
original question. The Galle book (List Price: $79.95 Amazon
Price: $54.37) is a great resource, but doesn't have but a
fraction of the color photos of individual cultivars that the
Satsuki Dictionary displays in the most user friendly way
possible. (I take it that you haven't viewed the Satsuki
Dictionary?)

Yeah, I have; one of our club members has it. It's pretty, but since
I'll never see or have the opportunity to see perhaps 1,123 of the
cultivars covered (and neither will most Japanese growers), it's
still ridiculously expensive, and has no other useful info in it that
I could see.

I have Galle's book, which is why I recommended it. (I also
suggested that for someone who wants to ID ONE plant, the library
would be a better source. Galle's book is quite likely to have a
cultivar available in the USA -- especially one that has been [as the
original mssg said] in the ground for a number of years.) And IT has
information in it that is helpful in actually GROWING azaleas.

If cheap is your objective, then I recommend Great
American Azaleas: A Guide to the Finest Azalea Varieties by Jim
Darden. (c) 1985. Published by The Greenhouse Press, 1239 Sunset
Ave., Clinton, NC 28328. Phone 919-592-3725. Like Fred Galle's
book, it has good organizational logic. It also has a lot of
color photos for its size (96 pp.). Cost (at least when I bought
it) was only $8.95.

I'll take a look, but _I_ probably don't need another azalea book.

For cultural and bonsai information, I recommend
Alexander Kennedy's books.

I have 2 of his books. They're OK -- if a bit "English" requiring
considerable extrapolation for Florida growing.

There is also Bonsai Techniques for
Satsuki by Naka, Ota, & Rokkaku, but it is long out of print and
fetches very high prices as a rare book.

$250, last one I saw. I passed.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and its
living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it should
have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++