Old 14-08-2004, 02:56 PM
Jean S. Barto

I also have a Neuton, bought it last September, and just had a maintenance
issue with it--I had to get very *ugly* with the folks at Country Home
products to get any assistance with it--there are very few lawn mower repair
places that will service them, and the first technical support rep I spoke
with felt it was *my* job to find someone to fix my machine, and failing
that, attempt to fix the machine myself. I ended up getting a techinical
supervisor involved, and taking the mower to a local repairman who has
repaired my gas powered lawn mowers for years. I'll also add that 3 other
local repair shops flat out refused to even look at the unit. I live in
Hampton Roads Virginia, far from the sticks, and there were only two
*authorized* repair shops within 70 miles of me--in opposite directions, and
one of them very inconvenient for me to get to.

In any case it looks like the mowerblade started coming loose for no
reason--I certainly didn't loosen it myself, I haven't run over anything I
shouldn't have while mowing, and my repairman says he thinks the blade
wasn't tightened down properly at the factory, and came loose over time.
I'll be picking up my mower Monday morning, and we'll see later in the week
if its truly fixed.

I told the technical supervisor that they need to find more authorized
repair shops--especially considering the demographic they're marketing the
product to--middle aged women who may not have the ability/knowhow to do
much equipment maintenance on their own. I shouldn't have to call one
local repair shop after another and *beg* them to fix their product!

Also, since the mower's cut width is relatively narrow (14" wide, I think),
it takes a longer time to mow a lawn than what you might be used to with a
traditional gas powered mower.

Unless you have a small townhouse sized lawn, I suggest that the Neuton is
more of a *backup* mower, best used when you're too tired/sore to use your
gas mower.

My two cents--

Jean in VA

So, although I
"Gemini" wrote in message
I own one of these and really like it. It is not self propelled, but it

is
lighter and pushes much like a baby buggy.

http://www.countryhomeproducts.com/T...tonMower2Step&
Chap=CEMModels&SiteEntryMode=1&BC=0%3aHome&LinkTyp e=3

I'm leaning towards the Toro as it seems to offer the best balance of
features for the price. Data I
would like to know, but have been unable to find:
How quiet is the engine on each of these mowers?
How do they compare in mulching and bagging performance? (Consumer

reports
rates the Honda & the Cub Cadet the best among those I've selected for
mulching, and all about equal for bagging).
General ease of use.
If you own or have used these mowers, how did you like them?

Thanks for the advice!
Craig