Old 13-08-2004, 10:32 AM
Kirsty

Jo,

Cross pollination can occur with tomato's, especially the older varieties
such as cherry. If you had other tomato's in very very close proximity, you
may find the seeds aren't true to type. However, generally tomato seeds are
very easy to save.

The fruit from the lower branches is generally best to save for seed, though
any will save. Let the tomato ripen just beyond eating stage, cut the tomato
and squeeze out the seeds into a jar, add a little water and let sit for a
day. When the water starts to foam, (antibiotic activity killing disease
such as bacterial spot) rinse the seeds well in a strainer. Place on
board/shinny paper and let dry for a few days. You can then place into
envelopes and label.

(seeds save for about 4 years)

"Jo M" wrote in message
Hi,
I have a couple of cherry tomato plants that have delicious tomatoes and
some others that are only so-so. Can I save the seeds of some of the

'good'
tomatoes and plant them next year? How do I go about saving the seeds?

Thanks,
Jo