Old 13-08-2004, 02:00 PM
mycroftt

"I & H" wrote in message link.net...
I have loads of beautiful green plum tomatoes just waiting to become sauce.
The first two were reddening up so I picked them yesterday, from low on the
plant, and the bottoms were completely rotted out. The same thing happened
to most of my big boys last year. As soon as they start to ripen and pink
up, they develop a area of rot/mold at the bottom. The longer I waited to
pick, the more they dissolved so that they were just half-tomatoes,
beautiful, red, half rotten tomatoes...darn. The plants are pretty crowded
in my garden, they grew full and wide rather than tall (I haven't
planted plum tomatoes before), but the plants and green tomatoes seem
healthy until they start to pink up. Is it a water problem? We've had a cool
wet season here in New England.
Please help me save my sauce.....

I have found that Roma's are particularly sensitive to blossom-end
rot.

http://www.felcopruners.net/catalog.0.html13.0.html

There's lots of other paste tomato seeds available. Check out the
above site - they even have San Marzano's!