Old 08-08-2004, 04:21 AM
simy1

(Ed Stuart) wrote in message om...
O.K., how do I, "maintain good foliage cover"?

generally, it is easier to maintain cover with the taller
(indeterminate) tomatoes. It is also easier if you cage the tomatoes
(that is, if they grow inside a cage - mine are made of rebar), if you
place the plants close enough to one another (like, 18-20 inches
apart), and if you don't prune the plants. This said, I do all of the
above, but I still get some green/yellow shoulders, specially in
Brandywine and Stupice, which are both heirlooms. My Better Boys are
all red around, but a yellow-shouldered Brandywine is still a much
better tomato.