Old 07-08-2004, 02:37 AM
Roy

On 6 Aug 2004 17:57:41 -0700, (Jerry G) wrote:

===Curious to know if anyone else has ever had this problem. I have a
===CPS SK-1 skimmer on the side of my pond. The unit floats on top of
===the water (tethered to the side). The problem is that the inside
===strainer basket(made of abs plastic) floats inside of the housing
===about 3/4 of an inch. Small goldfish, and other small objects end up
===going to the pump as they get sucked in underneath the strainer
===basket.
===
===I called the manufacturer, and they suggested putting a small rock in
===the unit to hold it down. Problem is, a small rock will not keep the
===strainer basket from floating, a large rock will sink the entire
===skimmer.
===
===After spending $92.00 for the skimmer, the strainer should be made to
===snap in place.....if I wanted to Mickey Mouse the pond, I would have
===done that in the first place.
===
===Has anyone else encountered this problem?

You just did not find the right combination of rocks yet. ;-) I would
have to agree. I am not familiar with that skimmer but is there a way
to use a nylon tie to secure the basket in the housing? For 92 bucks
it ought to have a bit more design integrity built into it and not
have to mickey mouse it. I think I would be bothering the place I
bought it from as well as the manufactuer until they made it right
or I got a steep discount / or refund for it since it evidently is not
a truly functional design. Other than that, provided its assembled
right etc, I would just add some various sized rocks until you hit the
happy medium.
Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com
I had no input whatsoever.